This is part of a series of Hamilton and Wenham, Massachusetts, oral histories of the towns, produced by William Heitz and Edmund Josephs from 1986 through 1995. It was originally taped on March 7, 1990. It was converted to .m4v format by library volunteer Robyn Luna and uploaded to the Internet Archive by Sarah Lauderdale, Head of Reference at Hamilton-Wenham Public Library, on Wednesday, September 9, 2015. Our thanks to William Heitz for permission to upload this content to the Internet Archive. Our thanks also to volunteer John Brucker for his description of the interview, included below.
Summary of interview and tours of Depot Square and Idlewood Lake 1918-1930:
Recap of the previous episode with Frank, Depot Square 1918-1940, Corner of Bay Road and Railroad Avenue, Businesses on Railroad avenue, First national store: forerunner of the chain grocery store, Smith Block, Smith Block fire, Smith Block annex, Willow street, Arthur Cummings all-purpose horse drawn taxi service, Express train mail pickup, Growing up near the Hamilton-Wenham railroad crossing, Thoughts on country doctors and old fire engines, Fire alarm protocol, First fire truck, Ed and Frank present pictures from around Hamilton, Challenges of fire-fighting without a public water supply, Construction of shopping center , Frank takes us on a tour of Idlewood Lake (now known as Pleasant Pond), Directions to Idlewood Lake, Idlewood Lake facts and figures, Charlie Perkin’s lakeside park, Facilities that were available including a dancehall, Orchestras that played at the dancehall, Going to Idlewood Lake by trolley car, Wintertime activities at the lake, Ice harvesting at the lake, Name changes to the lake over time, Amusing story about tensions between Mr. Perkins and Mr. Germain over boat tour fees, Newspaper clippings of events at Idlewood Lake, Steamboat that operated on the lake.
The following names and terms were used in this interview:
Gail Hamilton Room, Hamilton Public Library, Wenham Depot, Depot Square, Fishmarket, Norman Conrad, London Harness Company, McQueeney Harness and Saddle repair, Hamilton post office, Doug Knowlton, South Hamilton branch library, Hunter’s Inn, Kimball’s dry goods store, The Mears Shop, Connolly’s store, Peatfield’s doughnut shop, Bert Holland’s barber shop, P.G. Anderson’s drug store, Chester Knowles drug store, Lane’s paint shop, L.M. Whipple contractor, First National grocery store, Goodrich paper store, Mr. Kate’s Taylor shop, John Crowe shoe repair, Dr. King Dentist, Knowles drug store, A&P, Melanson bros. bike repair shop, Max Bookstein butcher shop, Papas’ lunch room, Old firehouse, S.C. Gould store, Bert Holland’s barber shop, Hamilton-Wenham garage, Jim McClaren, Hamilton telephone exchange, Chinese laundry, Eddy Hall barber shop, Grange Hall, Kimball’s palm lunch, Walter Khan’s butcher shop, Armstrong’s clothing store, Rankin home, Arthur Cummings, Fox and Fern restaurant, Asbury Grove, Cummings livery stable, Merrill Cummings Auto Repair shop, Railroad house, Mrs. Clark’s boarding house, Dr. Corcoran, Dr. Davis, Railroad crossing attendant, Railroad crossing lamps, Essex branch, Hamilton-Wenham railroad station, Telegraph office, Freight house, Freight spur track, Mr. Pendexter’s paper store, Hamilton Hardware, Hamilton Diner, Louie Foote the wrestler, Hamilton fire department, Idlewood Lake, Pleasant Pond, Charlie Perkins, Perkin’s motor boat tours, Row boat, Boat house, Copper slide, Skating, Ice Fishing, Ice harvesting, Gambling, Steamer boat license .
The following photos were presented in this interview:
Depot square , Norman Conrad house, Salem Five Cents savings bank , Mike O’Keefe store, Advertisement E.E. Gray Co., Railroad Street , Police chief Ed Hall, Dedication of new fire-police building , Shopping center , H. Daley troop review , Panorama of Depot Square , Car barns at the Congregational Church , Perkins’s building , Idlewood Lake , Amos Gould cottage , Perkin’s motor boat , Germain’s store early 1900s.